Blog Description

Learning, enjoying, unraveling, relaxing and loving it!

Tuesday 23 February 2016

Black and White

One of the most common (and somewhat annoying) traits of someone with Borderline Personality Disorder (I never abbreviate it - Bipolar got the acronym first) is 'black and white thinking'. and it seeps into many aspects of my being. It's a powerful in that it allows me to achieve great things, but sadly it's to the detriment of other matters.
Credit - hdwallnpics.com
I rarely have thoughts or opinions that are 'somewhere in the middle' and frankly this frustrates me greatly. Logic tells me that there are many grey areas in these things, but I just can't see them.

People. People cause me a great deal of problems. Not in themselves, they're just generally minding their own business going about their daily shenanigans, but I overwhelmingly can only ever see people as inherently good - or inherently bad. Rarely in the middle. It's almost like an obsession - (luckily I'm dead sensible so I don't appear to be a nut job) but I meet someone in a friendly capacity, I like the cut of their jib and the things they have to say - that makes all other people disappear from my radar.

They are, frankly, a bit of an annoyance. Ridiculous. Utterly ridiculous. But very, very true. Has happened many times, over the years. And their fall from grace is equally as prompt and sizeable. Once someone has stepped over that (imaginary) line, they join the ranks of all the other minor annoyances. And that's if they are lucky. I'm lucky that I rarely see people as inherently bad. That's the one thing I'm grateful for.

Exhausting, huh? Yep. I have a certain amount of control these days but imagine being like that as a young person sans Mental Health toolbox? Wholly unfair.

This aspect creeps into many other areas too. For me, my home is EVERYTHING. And I do mean everything. I love to travel and do stuff and see stuff, but knowing that my home is there the second I am ready. So this means that my home is perfectly manicured, beautifully decorated and constantly flawless, doesn't it? Yeah right! Like hell it does. A few weeks ago, according to my monkey brain, the entire reason for my anxiety and spiral into depression - my living room. Completely and totally.

The fact that it was a work in progress due to impending horrendous building work, was the sole reason I was feeling agitated, anxious, empty etc. etc. The rug didn't match the curtains (an amalgamation of two rooms - terrible tragedy) and my need for fully matching scatter cushions in coordinating colours was like crack to an addict. You see when I achieve my desired effect within my living room (which is, in fact a pivotal universal point, I think you all know) then I will feel well again. I will be healthy and happy and all will be complete. Course it will.

It's just that over the last few months, I've felt that way about all of the rooms in the house. And, I felt that way about amalgamating the two rooms in preparation of the building work. Once we did that - everything would be perfect.

I bought a book over Christmas about decluttering. It is a wonderful and marvelous book that helped me greatly. It's much easier now for me to move around and be comfortable in my home now that I have gotten rid of a LOT of stuff that I didn't need. But I felt the same about that. It was the answer to all my prayers. Except it wasn't, of course. Jolly helped, but it wasn't the guiding light.

You see the whole black and white thing means that my brain can only direct it's considerable attention to one place. Hence I don't really feel like I've achieved much in my life really. Long term goals are just not something my brain can ever deal with. If I achieved a long term goal I would lose all my friends and turn into Stig of the Dump to do it. The 'all or nothing' thing is fantastic for short term, high intensity stuff, but not everything is like that.

I simply cannot do the slow-burn. I can't sip a drink, I drink it. I can't pick at a meal, I scoff it. But while I'm drinking the kitchen might catch fire and when I'm cooking that food to eat it the realisation that I have to clean up having prepared the food, will not have occurred to me. Or, I could concentrate on clearing up, only to find that my dinner has gone cold/been eaten by the dog in the meantime.

Recent minor obsessions have been:

Walking
Writing this blog
Running
Decluttering the kitchen
The back bedroom of doom
Riding my big bike
The stationery drawer
The airing cupboard
Having pink hair
Instagram posting
Needing to get a tortoise
Buying some new clothes (which I hate doing)
And some other stuff I would never admit publicly.

The Holy Grail, for me, is being able to disperse my attention across a few different things. Consistently. That, for me, is #winningatlife which I'm not, currently.

Oh well, I suppose I'd better put the kitchen back together. Don't want to. What a total nause.


No comments:

Post a Comment